Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Joel is either very serious or very silly about his play. There is no in between. Here is a serious moment when he is fixing the wheels on his bulldozer. What you can't see in the picture is his expression: knit eyebrows, pursed lips, nothing else in the world exists right at the moment. This is a classic Fillian look. My dad gets it, I get it, and I imagine many, many others have gotten it, way back to the Old Country. Joel is as precise as possible for a 2 year old when doing anything. He is so fun to watch.

This pregnancy is nearing its end, which continues to be realized in both a happy and incredulous manner on my part. For months now it's seemed like I've been pregnant for, you know, months. And looking at the calendar, I see it's been just about nine. I'm beginning my every-week appointments tomorrow. I've been nesting a fair bit, with plenty of downtime in between (although a couple of weeks ago I made about 40 meals that are now in our deep freezer - I'm hoping to not cook for a couple of months once the baby arrives). The nursery is mostly finished, except for putting the tiny little clothes onto hangers. My to do lists are focusing more and more on last minute baby prep things (bring the changing table upstairs, get some tiny diapers, make every present needed from now until Christmas because I won't have time after May 30th, etc). We have a more concise list of names we're looking at. (Thank goodness.) I even started seriously thinking about the birth plan. Crazy.

I wasn't going to make a birth plan for this birth until I talked with my midwife last week. We were talking about the Hep B shot given routinely at birth, and I was expressing my not-to-keenness about it. She agrees with how I feel about it, and said to just write it on my birth plan and make sure I tell the nurses at the hospital my wishes. (With Joel, I wasn't even told they were doing it; it just happened. At that time, I don't think I would've refused it, considering I hadn't even given it a thought, but still...) Then I started researching the newborn eye drops, and I don't want anything to do with that, either. So, I've decided that I'll write a birth plan again this time. It's not too hard, and hopefully it will prevent the staff once again from asking me if I'm ready for my epidural... Why in the world is normal birth something people freak out about?! Even hospital personnel! Honestly. (I'm also hoping for a waterbirth this time, which I am totally excited about - especially after two of the midwives now, including the one who attended us when Joel was born, have allayed my fears of tearing in the water.)

My class is over next Monday! Yay! The next class I take will be an actual nursing class.

Two quick fun Joel stories:

1)Tonight we were painting. He painted a big circle, put a tail on it (the wrong side, but still), and said, "Q, Mama!"

2)We were reading a story about Noah's Ark this afternoon, and I always ask him to tell me about the animals on different pages. He told me that he saw birds, and I said, yes, those are toucan birds. He smiled and counted, "One-can bird, Two-can birds!"

I lovelovelove being his mom.

1 Comments:

At 4/30/2008 8:36 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

What a cutie!!! "Two-can bird..." Totally brilliant - not a surprise, given his parents! ;-) And the fact that somehow young kids seem to be smarter than both of us put together...Colby & I are always like, 'did *you* teach him that?' And for things things like, 'oh, crap!', the answer is generally "apparently so..." LOL.

[On the "why people freak out about normal birth" thing - I think it's because, working in a hospital, you see the *wrong* side of cases, rather than the happy side so much - kind of like how people who work in hospitals tend to be very anti-gun, at least in my experience - they're (more or less) afraid of the bad side.]

Hope things continue to go well for you! :-) You go, natural happy mommy!!! :-) And 40 meals in advance?!?! What a great example!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home