Monday, February 11, 2008

May I be proud of my son's birthday cake for a moment? My dad did all the red decorating, and I think we did a great job together. Joel had a lovely 2nd birthday, and there were lots of little ones around to help him celebrate. They ran around and around in circles, playing with his new tent, and generally had a great time. It was a nice little get together. This is what happens if your two-year-old drummer discovers that the cookie sheet cupboard has no child lock on it. This happens at least every other day. (Today he convinced me that he could play them quietly, since Neil was still asleep. That worked for a few minutes... but the great sound the cookie sheets make is just way too tempting...)

I officially got my acceptance letter for the nursing program! I start next spring. School will be rough with a 3 year old and an 8 month old, but we'll figure it out. I'm glad I'm in... it's a good first step. Luckily, I only have nursing classes to take, so it won't be terribly oppressive. (Or so I foresee it...)

We've been using our friendly neighborhood library like crazy lately. Joel and I have been doing Letter of the Week for a few weeks now, and we've been getting lots of books for that each week. Just today I got the book "Consuming Kids", which is (so far, on chapter 3) an amazing read. I know that kids are marketed to, but this is a really good look at what all goes into it. I've barely put it down so far. Completely eye-opening. (I'm a big fan of the Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood organization, and this is way more in-depth than any of the "take action now!" emails can go.) If you have kids, know kids, will have kids someday, or live on planet earth, you should definitely grab this book at your own friendly neighborhood library.

My dear cousin Scotty got married last week. Joel and I flew out to Philadelphia to meet my mom and stay with my Aunt Bonnie and Uncle Scott. We had a really great time. Joel was marvelous on the airplane and throughout the whole trip. I love spending time with my extended family. They are so wonderful and fun! I heard lots of old family stories and generally had a good time. I'll have to find a picture of Joel dancing with his little cousins at the reception. My, did they all sleep well that night!


1 Comments:

At 2/11/2008 9:34 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

First, congratulations on getting accepted into the nursing program!!! You'll do great!!! (That's really nice that you just have to take nursing classes, too...what a relief.) And what a wonderful birthday cake!!! I am in awe! And on the marketing thing, I've been amazed - we have still never seen one episode of Sesame Street, but Nephi totally knows who Elmo is - he's on his diapers and his potty step, as well as the only relatively harmless thing he can do on the computer. I introduced him to the red scourge, but for some reason, he's totally latched on to him lately - online teaching games are great, but all he's been saying for the last (feels like a week) has been "More Elmo?" - maybe we'll try to get him interested in Backyardigans, since they're far less annoying than the Noodles and anyone else that elicits a cry for Elmo to return, LOL... still don't like the glazed staring at the screen, though... but at any rate, I'll definitely have to check out that book.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home