Monday, July 17, 2006

These are a few of Joel's favorite new toys. They mezmerize him for long periods of time.

My brother was in town this weekend. He was here officially to go to a wedding of a friend from high school. The wedding was outdoors at a lovely park - the problem? It was on Sunday, which had a heat index of nearly 100 degrees. Ick. I talked him into wearing nice shorts and a short sleeved polo type shirt. He came back and said he felt underdressed. Crazy people. I told him that his friend was lucky anyone wore clothes to her wedding at all.

We are nearly done scraping the wallpaper glue from our living room. Hurrah! Soon we will be able to cross one more room off of our "to paint" list. This house will be lovely yet...

Joel's six month pediatrician appointment was today. He has been sleeping HORRIBLY (waking up many times during the night). The pediatrician said that it could be any of the things I suspected (teething, learning to crawl, six month growth spurt), but the thing that will help each of those is to feed him more. So, Joel is now to eat three meals each day plus two snacks, along with his regular breastmilk. I'm going to try to get to the store tomorrow or Wednesday to get some yummy fruits and vegetables for him so I can make him some food!

I've been feeling inadequate lately. Inadequate as though there are so many things I ought to be doing, but I'm just not getting to them. There's this huge world out there, with people and places and things to interact with, and I can barely get my house clean. I'm trying to figure out where my significance now lies in this season of my life. Should I have a job? Evolve discreetly into a 50's domestic goddess? Become a crazy community volunteer? Just chill out for a while? Learn everything I can about a couple of random but useful things?

I do know that I have a few books to finally finish. I have never ever been able to be reading just one book. Right now I'm in the middle of "Velvet Elvis", "Chasing Daylight" (which I'm actually reading with people, so I should probably catch up), "Walking the Bible" (fascinating history book that goes through the Torah in the Middle East), and "Fast Food Nation". And probably a few more. I'm avoiding my bookshelves right now for fear of what I might discover I'm in the middle of...

2 Comments:

At 7/18/2006 7:33 PM, Blogger Neil said...

Man, I miss out on a lot while at work. I should stay at home, read books, and help Joel play with pots.

I would love to be a 50s domestic goddess for you. Of course, then I might have to get up with
Joel ALL of the time...

 
At 7/19/2006 6:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try not to sweat it too much. I was unemployed for a month once, and I came close to rock bottom. THen, I got a job I hated. However, that's where I met Warren, who became my best friend and business partner. I'm not making some extra cash with him on the side in real estate and such. I'm not trying to sound like an infomercial, more, just saying something like, it's always darkest jsut before the dawn. Don't worry about what to do, let it sit in the back of your head, just do what you do, and whatever is next for you will just happen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home