Saturday, March 14, 2009

Mmmmmmmmmmm... my birthday dessert! It's called grilled pineapple milhojas, and it's very trendy in Argentina, apparently. More on that later.

31 year old me!

Asher and Neil on the train at the Zoo.

Joel, Neil, and Asher on the carousel at the Zoo. The two smaller ones LOVED the ride!

Ah, the library. The other place I spent an hour of my birthday, in silence and solitude. (Or, rather, as there were other library patrons there, simply without the kids.)

Today I am 31! 30 was quite a year and, honestly, if you had told me on my 30th birthday where I'd be on my 31st birthday, I may have kindly tuned you out. Since 14th March last, we've had another baby, Neil finished his dissertation, I decided to put nursing/midwifery on hold until the kids are older, and we moved to Cincinnati. Wow. That's a lot for one year! So, cheers to year 31!

To start out, this week I'm listening to Sinead O'Connor - Theology and The Verve - Forth. They caught my eye at the library. This week I'll be reading "Bend the Rules Sewing" by Amy Karol, "Grave Matters" by Mark Harris, and "Childbirth Wisdom From the World's Oldest Societies" by Judith Goldsmith. Well, maybe I won't read them ALL this week, but I just got them out of the library, so I'll be looking them over at least.

The other neat thing we're doing as a family for the next four and a half years or so: The Berg Family World Tour. We're taking a country each week and learning about it's history, culture, food, people, everything we can. We'll be starting a little blog on that pretty soon, with things we find interesting about the countries, good recipes, and that sort. So far, we've done Algeria and Argentina, and tomorrow we'll be starting Anguilla. We're looking forward to bonus weeks when we actually get to travel to a few of the places, but we'll see how that goes. Neil and I figure that we live in this world and it's frightful how little we seem to know about it. Between the two of us we've travelled to Mexico (both), Honduras (N), Bahamas (A), Canada (both), Japan (A), Indonesia (A), Ghana (N), Spain (A), and the UK (both), so we have just a very small taste of our big and wonderful world. Hopefully soon we'll get to know a bit more as a family. Joel can already find Algeria and Argentina on the world map on his wall, and both Joel and Asher are enjoying the food!



2 Comments:

At 3/17/2009 9:58 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

That is awesome! So glad you had such a great birthday - and yes, here's to a happy 31, indeed!!! :-)

Also, learning about countries is such a great idea! You can even cycle through all of them again once you're done, because your kiddos' understandings will be even deeper when they're older! How awesome!!! :-)

 
At 3/28/2009 5:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is seriously one of the most awesome ideas I've ever heard! I may have to borrow it when I have a family :)
-Adele

 

Post a Comment

<< Home