Thursday, October 16, 2008

This past Saturday was pumpkin picking day! We went with our neighbors. Here are Joel and their daughter playing before we left.


Here are my three boys getting ready to go on the tractor hay ride out to the pumpkin field. I made those pumpkin hats while I was pregnant, just waiting for this day... so I definitely made a photo opp out of our wait time.

Joel picked out a pumpkin for himself and a pumpkin for Asher. This is Asher's pumpkin. Joel couldn't lift the one he chose for himself.

The pumpkin patch had lots of different decorative squash, and Joel liked trying them all out as noses. This one was his favorite, and he accompanied it with lots of elephant noises.

Asher was along for the ride, but seemed to really enjoy the weather and the colors. He's absolutely beautiful. (Even if he isn't wearing the hat I made for him...)

About the hats: my dear friend Judy got a knitting book for me for Christmas this past year. (She is the one who taught me how to knit.) It is called "Itsy Bitsy Hats" and is full of wonderful children's hats. Since autumn is my absolute hands-down favorite time of year, I chose to make my kids matching pumpkin hats. I think they turned out very well, and I get lots of compliments on them. It makes me feel all fuzzy inside...

We've been super busy in the past few weeks. I've been really enjoying the outside with the boys, and Joel even convinced me that we needed to go to the zoo twice this week, even though we're going again next week for a Halloween event. When we went on Tuesday he claimed the monkeys were sad because we didn't have a chance to see them that time. And we simply cannot allow the monkeys to be sad... so we went again today. The monkeys were thrilled that we came back.

I'm currently doing an experiment based on what I do during the day. Full-time moms pretty much spend the entire 24 hours in a day doing things for their family, and it's easy to get to the end of another day and feel that she was lost, personally, in the midst of it. (At least, I often feel that way...) Not to say that I don't enjoy it - my goodness, I can't think of anything I'd love doing more! However, with one on the leg and one on the boob, one's identity can seem to be on hold for an indefinite amount of time. So I made two lists. (Well, 5 really, but 2 matter at the moment.) One list is things I love to do, the second list is of things I'd like to do or try *someday*. Yesterday I went through to see how many things I did on each list, and I did 6 things on the first list! It may seem a little lame, but it certainly helped me to reflect on my day in a different light. I'm interested to see how many I managed today.

This week marks the end of our CSA and the Perrysburg Farmer's Market. *sigh...* It's been lots of fun... We really loved the CSA, and I love the concept, but I kind of prefer to go to the market and choose things myself. I guess we'll decide on it over the winter if it's something we want to do again. (We discovered that we love making greens through the CSA, but through careful exploration of the Farmer's Market we discovered locally grown peanuts, which warmed our little locavore hearts...) They don't have to be mutually exclusive, but I'm still deciding.

Weekend plans: hopefully my brother is visiting, and there is a pumpkiny (that is to say, pumpkin-like) event at the local funeral home. (!) I'm looking forward to more of the wonderful autumnness!

1 Comments:

At 10/22/2008 11:28 AM, Blogger Sparky said...

I DID IT! I VOTED! AND IT FELT GREAT! Have fun pumpkin-hunting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home