Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I think bunches of garlic are so beautiful. Here's one of my two that I got at the Toledo Farmers Market hanging up near our kitchen sink. We have gotten the big jars of minced garlic for a few years now, but I recently used regular garlic with a press and Neil could hardly pick himself up from his swooning. I'm thinking these two bunches will get us through until next summer.


All of our ripe grapes - every single one of them - were eaten by birds this weekend. Here is our aluminum foil addition to the arbor. It's supposed to keep the birds away. I hope so - the grapes are really tasty!


Here is sweet Joel, the world's best 2.5 year old dad. He wanted a sling "like Mama's", so I made him a mini Moby out of some fabric I had in a cabinet. He carried Ella the Elephant in it for hours that day. Joel now has a trumpet and a cornet and he's really not too bad! He played his trumpet and his "neck drum" for everyone at our block party this past Sunday.


Here is wonderful Asher! He is a super smiley guy. He's grabbing at things (now he holds onto my hair... uh oh...), he really likes playing "so big", he watches his brother play, and woke up on his back yesterday after I'd put him down for a nap on his belly. We went to a wedding at Marblehead last weekend, and he cooed at the water for minutes on end - I think he liked the waves and the sound while we were standing next to the lake. He is absolutely amazing!


Here is last week's CSA. We ate the cherry tomatoes, cucmbers, and peppers plain, had a picnic at Sidecut making tomato basil salad with the big tomatoes and roasting the kale (yum!!!), made chips out of the potatoes, yellow squash, and zucchini, grilled the corn, and baked the eggplant to make babaganoush.



Here is this week's CSA. We have tomatoes, green peppers, an acorn squash, a leek, two eggplants, corn, a yellow squash, and a zucchini. We'll eat the tomatoes and peppers, grill the corn, make babaganoush with the eggplant, grill the zucchini and yellow squash, bake the acorn squash (I have a pastured turkey in the basement freezer from Mr. Luginbill - maybe I'll make that with it!), and maybe I'll make some leek soup. Robin, our CSA farmer, said that next week we'll kind of be right between summer and fall vegetables. Being in a CSA is one of the most fun things we've done!

Also in that picture you can see a vase of flowers on the table and a little orange cup right behind the vegetables. The flowers are from my brother, who sent them for our anniversary. We've been married for 7 years! Yay! The cup is Joel's milk cup. Just last week we started getting milk directly from a farmer. It is the the most delicious milk I've ever had! I've only tasted little bits, as I'm not sure Asher will tolerate it quite yet. It tastes like the milk we had in the UK, which was lovely and tasty. I have a cookbook out from the library that has recipes for non homogenized milk - you can do all kinds of things with the whey! I'm excited to try some out.


1 Comments:

At 10/02/2008 6:28 PM, Blogger Sparky said...

What a wonderful fall harvest! Looks and sounds yummy. I love love LOVE garlic and use it daily. I think my breath is permanently stinky. :) Cute kids! I hope they can come to Cleveland to visit!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home